OLEY RIDES & SCHEDULE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

derby crash 7/5/09

+3
Admin
Nick Price
Brian Saylor
7 posters

Go down

derby crash 7/5/09 Empty derby crash 7/5/09

Post  Brian Saylor Sun 05 Jul 2009, 9:04 pm

Brian here --

Tommy Grim is in ICU with both lungs punctured. He will be there 3-5 days. His bike is in better shape than mine. He's laid up in Reading Hospital.

I have a fractured cheek bone, lower back trauma and road rash everywhere. Couple of deep cuts, but ok. My Madone 6.9 shattered the head tube and severely cracked at the down tube/bottom bracket area. It's gone.. . .

On Thursday I'm having an operation to repair an arterial veinous fisture in my kidney. Outpatient surgery. So, after that, I'll be back on one of my other bikes. Could possibly be seeking a 2010 6.9 Madone using Trek's crash policy. Maybe. . . . .

Brian Saylor

Back to top Go down

derby crash 7/5/09 Empty Re: derby crash 7/5/09

Post  Nick Price Sun 05 Jul 2009, 11:18 pm

what happened? how many people went down?
Nick Price
Nick Price

Back to top Go down

derby crash 7/5/09 Empty derby crash info

Post  Admin Mon 06 Jul 2009, 8:41 am

see emails below;

Wow, that was a good one to miss. I hope everyone is doing ok, but man that sounds bad.

Tommy has a punctured lung, broken ribs, and they'll know today if he'll need surgery on one or two cracked vertebrae. He's on a respirator, and still in the trauma center. Donna says he's not very coherent, but hopes that's from the medication. I'll let you know when I find out more.

Jim, for whatever reason, I just decided not to do the derby yesterday too. I felt pretty good after last week's crash, just felt like hanging out at home to relax... and I'm happy I did. Have you ever seen / heard of a crash that bad on the derby?
----- Original Message -----
To: 'Dean Smith'
Sent: Monday, July 06, 2009 8:14 AM
Subject: RE: Derby yesterday

Dean,

How is Tom doing???

I was on my way up to the derby with the guys but decided to pull off with Michele and just ride flat in Oley.

Brian has a broken cheek bone and some bruises, He was treated and released from reading hospital. Trek 6.9 bike is totally trashed.

Tom Grim has two punchered lungs and will be in the reading hospital 3 to 5 days.

John Rush I think either has a broken collar bone or separated shoulder. He went to one of the Lehigh hospitals.

I picked up bikes and visited hospitals all afternoon.

I way I understand it, but I’m not sure; there were ¾ guys with a small gap, there was a jeep/truck with a trailer stopped and waiting to make a left turn at park road, Tom Ratzell was on the left and tried to squeeze into the line of riders going by the truck on the right, he caught the bumper on the truck and was thrown into the line of riders which caused the pileup. Brian ran right into the pile of falling riders , he launched and landed on his head shoulder and back.

It was a good derby to miss.

Jim

Jim Weidner
81 Bertolet Mill Road
Oley, Pa. 19547
CELL: 610-804-9245

Sent: Monday, July 06, 2009 7:46 AM
To: Jim Weidner
Subject: Derby yesterday

Jim, I talked to Donna Ratzell about Tommy... but do you know who else was hurt in the crash? What happened?

Last edited by Admin on Wed 08 Jul 2009, 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://oleyrides.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

derby crash 7/5/09 Empty Accident statistics

Post  Phil Iredale Mon 06 Jul 2009, 4:44 pm

I enter this not to be condescending but the majority of cycle accidents occur at stops, lights or intersections. Once again an error by one and the carnage involves many of the innocent. Sorry to hear of the serious injuries.

Last edited by Phil Iredale on Tue 07 Jul 2009, 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Phil Iredale

Back to top Go down

derby crash 7/5/09 Empty Update and Lime Kiln Road Tar and Chip

Post  John Dreesens Mon 06 Jul 2009, 5:35 pm

Thanks for the update about Tom R. I just came from the orthopedic dr. He told me to take at least a 2 week break so that I'm not pulling on the bars and so there's no chance of falling on the shoulder. It's starting to feel a little better already. By the way, Limekiln Road was tar and chipped from 422 to Oley Turnpike today. So, you better avoid it tomorrow.

John Dreesens

Back to top Go down

derby crash 7/5/09 Empty Tom's Room

Post  Phil Iredale Tue 07 Jul 2009, 4:47 pm

Stopped in to see Tommy today at the Reading Hospital he is in N 535, that is at the 5th street parking garage area. A tube in each lung does not make a happy camper but I'm sure hearing or seeing his fellow cyclist would.

Phil Iredale

Back to top Go down

Post  tron800 Tue 07 Jul 2009, 10:59 pm

wow,one person healing (me) others now hurt.

God bless you all during your healing process.

cycling still is the best sport, unfortunately we have to "practice race with cars and intersections", then again you never know when your gonna go down, but we all should Head Phil's warning, good advise.

tron800

Back to top Go down

Post  dajones13 Wed 08 Jul 2009, 2:54 pm

Brian said that they took 5 people to the hospital, does anyone know who the fifth person was? Any updates on the guys still in the hospital? Thanks!
dajones13
dajones13

Back to top Go down

Post  dajones13 Wed 08 Jul 2009, 9:47 pm

Heard on the derby today Tom Grim came home from the hospital today.
dajones13
dajones13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down