OLEY RIDES & SCHEDULE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

week of 1/9/2012

5 posters

Go down

week of 1/9/2012 Empty week of 1/9/2012

Post  Admin Mon 09 Jan 2012, 8:14 pm

A long time ago i started riding the club rides with BCBC, and then i met some riders that turned into some really good friends that helped me go to the next level. i and we all got better by riding with the trexlertown saturday group rides sponsored by the academy. these rides were long steady base mile type rides in January and February, and got harder and faster in March. i got a lot stronger that spring and summer mostly because of the base miles i did the previous winter. they weren't hard fast miles where we went screaming up the hills and did fast pace lines all the time, they were consistent long tempo miles. for years this was the type of riding we did in January on the oley rides. i believe because of the lower rider numbers and loss of some of the veteran riders, we have lost that structure. truly i am the one of the last of the originals other than when Tom Grim joins our group. Actually it was Tom and myself that started the oley rides group. thank you Tom, for that.

There was a time when we had a larger group of riders for the saturday rides, the old days i guess. there was a time when we all understood that January was for long tempo endurance rides to build the base miles for the upcoming season, the old days i guess. there was a time when we would do long steady uphill grades and some of us would be in a bigger gear at 50 RPM to grind it out and work on leg strength, the old days i guess. the guys that were lifting thru the winter could get out and spin their legs to work off the muscle stress from the weekly lifting routine.

Anyway, i'm taking a break from the oley ride for a little while. this saturday i'm thinking about heading down to the Java's ride that leaves from below Pottstown along Ridge Pike. the part i really hate is putting my bike in my truck to ride, when i live in one of the best areas around to ride a bike. but i will just so i can do the type of riding that i want to. Stephen is one of the veterans and knows what we should be doing in January, and i'm looking forward to it.

if someone wants to step up and lead the oley rides by all means please do it. as long as everyone in the group has the same desires for speed and effort it should work out.

You might say "I'm just getting old" , and you might be right. either way, we all get to choose the type of ride we want to do and when and who we want to ride it with, even if it's by ourselves.

thanks for reading,

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://oleyrides.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

week of 1/9/2012 Empty Re: week of 1/9/2012

Post  Nick Price Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:17 pm

I know I've been MIA this whole off-season and for the past probably 4 off-seasons, unless there was snow or ice, I was there. With having a 2 year old, my schedule has changed this year and my ride times on Saturdays seem to be from 10am-2pm. Changing of times I guess. See you guys in a few weeks on Tuesdays. They're right around the corner.
Nick Price
Nick Price

Back to top Go down

week of 1/9/2012 Empty bummed

Post  dustystone Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:30 pm

I love the Oley rides and I've never enjoyed riding as much as I have since joining Shirk's. I also haven't been this fit in at least a decade. I credit all that to Jim and co.. Didn't see this post until this evening, but was out riding with JFK earlier today we thought maybe something was up. I know there's no figure-pointing or blaming going on here, but I also know I've been feeling good and probably pushed the pace here or there (especially with rolling hills, a tailwind, or paceline with a cup of coffee waiting at the end!)

Time to lay down a base for the spring. I'm a fan of the Jim plan so Java ride it is. Does anyone know the exact place and time to meet?

dustystone

Back to top Go down

week of 1/9/2012 Empty also bummed

Post  Mark Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:18 pm

Just heard from Jeffrey Toth that the Java ride is 9:00 arrival 9:30 departure. Not sure if I'll get there myself, it is a bit of a hike from where I live.

Jim - My apologies for basically just showing on on Sundays looking to do the Derby. It is not the first time I wished I was a smarter rider... whether it is not properly appreciating base miles or taking off an ill advised break. I can't seem to shake the 12 yr old part of me that just wants to ride and ride fast. Hopefully this is just a temporary hiatus though, and maybe the Oley rides will come back, possibly in a new form. Either way though, thanks for all the high quality miles and showing me all the great roads from Lancaster to Emmaus.

Mark

Back to top Go down

week of 1/9/2012 Empty Sweet!

Post  jdhink Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:02 pm

So, those of you with 1/2 a decision-making process can figure out that it's options time.
Option 1: Keep doing the same road ride and bore that crap out of yourself...
Option 2: Do nothing and get fat and happy (sometimes it is a viable option)
Option 3: COME TO EXETER TWP AND BE ENTERTAINED ON A MT. BIKE WITH A 16-21 MILE MT. BIKE ADVENTURE FEATURING TWO MTS FOR THE PRICE OF 1...A BARGAIN AT ANY PRICE...WITH RE-HYDRATION SESSION TO FOLLOW.
sUNDAY 1/15/2012 10:00AM
610-370-0248
ps...IF THERE WAS SNOW ON THE GROUND IT WOULD BE X-COUNTRY SKIING
jdhink
jdhink

Back to top Go down

week of 1/9/2012 Empty Re: week of 1/9/2012

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down