OLEY RIDES & SCHEDULE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

March 18 Ride

3 posters

Go down

March 18 Ride Empty March 18 Ride

Post  Dean Smith Wed 19 Mar 2008, 7:13 am

Here's how it looked from my perspective:

Only about 10 guys showed up for the windy, damp Ronde von Oley on March 19. With the talent in the peleton, it promised to be a war of attrition. The biggest mystery move of the night came four miles in, when Keith Usner showed an amazing burst off the front to gain apparent sprint line points, then immediately disappeared from the peleton. Was it a sudden urge to heed the call of nature? A spectacular blow-up from his hard effort? A wildlife attack? Only Keith knows... give it up, bro!

Jim rolled off the front with Rasta Man at about six miles, and since both Jim and I were flying the Morgan Stanley colors, I tried to protect him by going to the front and keeping a respectable pace that would keep the chasers happy, while letting Jim widen his gap. Doug and Alan launched occasional bursts from the front of the chase, however, and that was enough to bring Jim back, who was working courageously on his own for four or five miles after Rasta Man dropped from the break.

The real attrition started at about mile 13. The front group of five sat up and recovered on the stretch past Union Jack's (I though about turning in for a Chouffe), then picked it up in the cross/headwind section along Manatawny Road, before the turn onto Fisher Mill. A few hard miles into the wind followed, and it was down to Jim, Doug, and I as the group turned onto Limekiln Road. Rasta Man and Alan were no doubt chasing, but the lead three were keeping a steady pace to make sure nobody caught.

At the two-and-one-half mile to go mark, the lead group decided they had ridden hard enough, and rolled sociably into the home stretch on Mine Road, setting up for the sprint. Doug moved up on the right, into the wind, setting a fast pace at about 500 meters to go, with Jim on his wheel, and I was on Jim's. Jim launched a massive lead-out to Doug's left with about 200 meters to go, and I didn't catch Jim's wheel fast enough -- a two bike gap opened, Doug moved onto Jim's wheel, and that was that. Jim crossed the line first, with apparent frustration at having set me up perfectly only so I could blow the opportunity, with Doug second and me third.

Overall a great ride, although difficult! I rolled up the hill at a leisurely pace, showered then drank some wine, and slept like a baby.

Dean Smith

Back to top Go down

March 18 Ride Empty Re: March 18 Ride

Post  tron800 Wed 19 Mar 2008, 4:54 pm

Oh ya that was it boys...good breakdown Deano, once the hammer went down it was hard going very tough starter for me.
no lolly gagging yesterday...

tron800

Back to top Go down

March 18 Ride Empty March 18 Ride

Post  jimweidner Wed 19 Mar 2008, 7:38 pm

only one more week of the short version. on april 1st we head out on the 31 mile loop. that's when the real fun begins. sprints will start april 8th;

sprint 1: just after the right hand turn from boyer rd onto lobachville rd
sprint 2: on manatawny rd just past spangsville rd half way up the little hill
sprint 3: on manatawny rd just past spangsville rd up over the top and on the way down the little hill
sprint 4: finish line; the first telephone pole on mine rd just before rt 662

the first three sprints are worth 1 point each. the finish line sprint is worth 3 points.

jim

jimweidner

Back to top Go down

March 18 Ride Empty New Bike, Stiff For Sprints

Post  Dean Smith Thu 20 Mar 2008, 2:44 pm

I'm going to pick this up for Tuesday night sprints -- it looks fast and stiff, for maximum power transfer:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rhoades-Car-4-Wheel-Bicycle-4-wheel-Bike_W0QQitemZ290215416641QQihZ019QQcategoryZ2904QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dean Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  tron800 Thu 20 Mar 2008, 3:22 pm

who is going to keep track of the sprint points?

I can help if you need it (make a database or just a spreadsheet).

tron800

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down