OLEY RIDES & SCHEDULE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

June 3 Ronde

3 posters

Go down

June 3 Ronde Empty June 3 Ronde

Post  Dean Smith Wed 04 Jun 2008, 9:02 am

GREAT RIDE LAST NIGHT!

The peleton rolled out at its usual social pace for the first few miles while the tifosi snapped pictures, but the pace quickened and attacks started even as the group got it's first real taste of wind on Hoch Road heading toward Pleasantville. Everyone seemed committed to maintaining a steady fast pace for the evening, until last night's Most Agressive Rider Craig (aka "Rasta") started his seeming relentless series of attacks on Tollhouse and Manatawny Roads.

The earliest of those attacks spurred a number of riders to action. The usual suspects moved toward the front of the group, and many tried to get off the front of the charging peleton, but nothing seemed to stick until Doug started to channel big Maggie Backstedt's spirit and snuck off the front with Craig and JFK on Limekiln Road. The peleton seemed content to let the break have a go since there was still 20k to go with a lot of headwind stretches. Nick instigated a chase by spurring on Alan from the Weaver's team to catch the break, and Alan (and another rider, not sure who it was) got into no man's land and tried valiantly to bridge for 3 kilometers. At that point the peleton decided "enough is enough", and ramped up the pace to catch the break as it reached the Muur de Limekiln (just before the turn onto Monacacy Hill Road) with 15k to go.

With 10k to go and a nice tailwind, Craig (like one of those characters from bad horror movie) clawed his way off the front yet again on Oley Line Road, this time with Weaver's boys Bob and Shane. This break had little chance, as the thoroughbreds were starting to smell the barn, and were determined to eliminate any gap. Eyes were on Jim (Morgan Stanley) and Nick (Technocycle), wondering if one of them would make a move at this point to try to sneak away when the break was inevitably caught. Everything came back together as the bunch, now whittled down to a select 20 or so riders, steamed toward Oley Turnpike Road.

Alan (Weaver's) made a nice move on Oley Turnpike, slingshotting up the gradual slope right after the turn to immediately get a 5-second gap. Craig jumped across, and what looked like it could be the winning move was formed with just over 5k to go. Doug brought his 12-cylinder engine to the front of the peleton to lead the chase and kept the break's gap at about 10 seconds, and it all came back together on the slopes of the Weidnerberg.

With 1.5k to go, mayhem erupted. Attacks followed attacks, with Jim (Morgan Stanley) jumping off the left to get an unanswered 10-bike gap with under 1k to go, and a group of 10-12 riders contested for a massive field sprint.

All in all, a very good night, with some head's up riding and a fast pace.

Dean Smith

Back to top Go down

June 3 Ronde Empty Re: June 3 Ronde

Post  Nick Price Wed 04 Jun 2008, 9:38 am

I couldn't match the big V-12s of Jim and Doug at the end. Jim had one heck of a move heading into the Weidnerburg and pulled it out. Big Doug got the motor rolling and I'm pretty sure took the field sprint with Rasta and myself right there for 3rd and 4th and there may have been one or two others with us. I was so beat, I really can't remember.

Those big motors get rolling and my little 5'7 engine can't hang. I did get 50 mpg and they got 15mpg. So that is good. Great job to the Weavers guys for being aggressive all night.

See you next week.
Nick Price
Nick Price

Back to top Go down

Post  tron800 Fri 06 Jun 2008, 10:31 am

now that was some racing, if your heart didn't go out to Craig.......
I was like there he goes again! it was a very very fun ride. We are gonna need a red bandana or something for the most aggressive rider award!

I missed the break with JFK,Doug and Craig, and ya Nick (Dynaflo) really motivated me to catch so that was a blast, but the horsepower in the peleton is something very very hard to overcome.

Does anyone know who was snapping pictures?
Good work guys.

Alan (Weavers)

tron800

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Price Fri 06 Jun 2008, 2:20 pm

I think his name is Graham Watson. Laughing
Nick Price
Nick Price

Back to top Go down

Post  tron800 Tue 10 Jun 2008, 11:05 am

Based on the awesome talent in the peleton, I'm still trying to confirm it was Graham Very Happy
Today will be a big test and the rider that conserves effort and rides smart is most deserving to win cheers

Alan

tron800

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Price Tue 10 Jun 2008, 2:05 pm

I'll be there. I'm driving down vs. my usual riding 24 miles to Oley, so hopefully I have some fresh legs.
Nick Price
Nick Price

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down