OLEY RIDES & SCHEDULE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

July 22 Rhonde

3 posters

Go down

July 22 Rhonde Empty July 22 Rhonde

Post  Nick Price Wed 23 Jul 2008, 1:38 pm

Interesting night. The Weavers boys did a good job early of staying upfront and controlling. As always, Rasta was like Vino always looking to attack. I'm not sure who the new guy was on the C-dale. He reminded me very much of Dean's style. Smooth and strong. Everytime he'd get upfront and build a lead he would slow down and I couldn't figure out why. On the ride home, Rasta told me that he kept asking for directions and didn't know the course. Wait till next week, he's a new mix in the equation and will certainly make the ride more aggressive for all of us.

I noticed a nice push from Steve(i think that's his name, real tan guy on a titanium frame) on Ben. Sketchy kid with hairy legs on the blue carbon Giant. I'm not sure what that was about, but I've certainly had a bump or two with Ben. He's a good kid.

I felt crappy all night in trying to bridge and bring stuff back. I'd tempo my way, but I had no snap to close gaps. As we got on Mine Rd, I knew the sprint was coming and I found the snap. Good finish. West Virginia dude took a flyer with about 250 to go and had a nice lead. Jim was on my wheel and the rest of the field was strung out, so I knew nobody was going to sneak around. John made a move on the right and I'm not sure what happened, but I know he was up-set with someone over there. I bridged up to WVU guy and jumped it with about 175 to go. I felt really good and had a great sprint. I wouldn't say I went to early, I'd say Jim went longer and faster. Good job Jim.

Finishes are what they are, but I've noticed the sprinters (myself included) do get upset with some of the guys that are up there holding on for dear life and not really looking to go any faster than what they are currently holding. It's like being stuck in shore traffic and your a/c isn't working. It's miserable. The sprinters want it strung out and enough time to pop a good one. Once we hit Oley Turnpike aka (to quote the great Kenny Loggins--Highway to the danger zone), people need to be ready. If guys don't have it, or just want to sit in, it may not be in the packs best interest to do that. Luckily we've not had any crashes, but from what I've seen through years of racing is the sprinters looking for a whole to jump through and guys sitting up or just pushing it too hard and not holding a line and then people bump and down they go. Just my 2 cents.
Nick Price
Nick Price

Back to top Go down

July 22 Rhonde Empty July 22 Rhonde & beers this week 7/29

Post  jimweidner Mon 28 Jul 2008, 11:39 am

last weeks ride was good, the weavers boys are slowly learning their way. FYI: the best time to attack is when a prior move is brought back by the pack and you're sitting in saving energy for the next attack. make some alliances with other riders. i would like to see a break get up the road with some of the guys that don't get a chance at the sprint. there are a few guys that i will be very tempted to pull back thou, so choose your alliances wisely. when you do go off the front get together and go hard for a while, you need to get a gap and then get out of site. as long as riders can bridge up to you you're too close to the group.
don't forget about the gig up at the golf course after the ride, i heard that dean was buying multiple beers for the winner of the sprint.
i will try to take a back seat this week and help some of the other guys finish the sprint.

as far as the sprint being dangerous,,,,,,, you bet it is. it's the most dangerous part of the ride. keep your head up at all times, and ride a straight line if you have to sit up. DON'T LOOK BACK,,,,,!!!!!!

come to think of it,,,,, i will buy the first beer for the winner of the sprint if it's someone that hasn't won a tuesday night sprint this year. there's your incentive guys......

jim

jimweidner

Back to top Go down

July 22 Rhonde Empty Ronde

Post  Dean Smith Mon 28 Jul 2008, 2:56 pm

Last week's mystery man was Tommy Ratzell, formerly a Cat 2 guy, now a 3. He works at Air Products and rips our legs off in our lunch ride sprints, and is a Derby regular (and who apparently is inspiring the next generation of racers; Tommy's son Greg won the PA Juniors RR championship in Oley recently).

I'm with Jim -- I'll buy the second beer for the first person to cross the line tomorrow night (with the same criteria -- if it's someone that hasn't won a tuesday night sprint this year)!

Dean Smith

Back to top Go down

July 22 Rhonde Empty Re: July 22 Rhonde

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down