OLEY RIDES & SCHEDULE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

June 24th Ronde Von Oley

5 posters

Go down

June 24th Ronde Von Oley Empty June 24th Ronde Von Oley

Post  dajones13 Wed 25 Jun 2008, 8:57 am

We had a large group with several new faces this week and the weather was about perfect sunny and about 75 degrees.

There was a slight breach in protocol with the early attack as the ride is suppose to stay neutral until we are Water Street. Both Nick and Rasta will be fined 50 Swiss francs for attacking during the neutral start.

With the early attack the pace stayed was fast early and often, but even with the fast pace the group stayed pretty large for most of the ride, most likely due to the same five or six riders pulling the rest of the group around all night.

There were several small breaks that were quickly pulled back nothing getting more then 5 or 10 seconds. Even after more then 10 miles of hard riding the group still had more then 20 riders. Although one the typical spots for things to start breaking up (after the right from Club Rd. to Yoder Rd. before we cross 73) we met up the riders and the pace was slowed up making the pass where we would have typically been hammering pretty fast. On Maxatawny after Union Jacks Nick and Dean attacked going up the hill before Woodchoppertown Rd. Allan and I latched on to their wheels and I think we had a small gap before the group was pulled back together. Then there was another hard pull between Fisher Mill and Covered Bridge but it was all pulled back together shortly after we hit Oak Ln. The section on Blacksmith was full of attacks but nothing was going up the road as they were quickly pulled back.

Going down the long hill on Limekiln Rasta and the guy in the WV jersey pulled away and probably had about 10 seconds on the field, but with the long downhill they were quickly brought back in to the fold. Everything stayed pretty much together until the short hill right after the pet cemetery, where Dean, Nick and Jim had a small gap going up the hill, I was stuck behind a couple guys that had just been gapped and I may have brought the field back together. Once back on Limekiln Rasta was almost made into a hood ornament when he was head down at the front of the field and he was slowly moving into the oncoming lane with traffic approaching. Fortunately, a quick yell brought him back to safety on the right side of the road.

With things altogether at the start on Oley Turnpike, Tom jumped and had a quick gap I was sitting third wheel behind the WV guy and yelled to him to close the gap. For some reason he actually listen to me and think the three of us had a small gap going up Oley Turnpike and then WV guy and I for a short time on Mine Rd after Tom dropped off at the top of the hill on Oley Turnpike. The WV guy was forced to front for most of Mine Rd. as no one else was interested in do the work as the sprint was closing in. After the Weidnerberg, John pulled to the front on the right side with Jim and JFK in tow and several other riders as well gathering around the front. I was sitting in a nice place in the middle of the pack as they went by. John took one long hard pull but pulled off shortly before we exited the woods and left Jim with a very long sprint. Jim took a long had dig and pulled a nice gap pretty quickly. I was trapped in the middle of the pack and missed anyone’s wheel. Nick popped out of the pack on the left side and tried to chase Jim down but Jim already had too much of a gap. By the time I was free to chase them down I was only able to catch Rasta for third place. Jim was able to hold off Nick to win the sprint but Nick wasn’t too far behind.

After the ride about 10 of us proceeded to Union Jacks for a post ride beer or two. Overall a great ride and I had a good time BSing about the rides and what not over beers. See you all next week!

Last edited by dajones13 on Wed 25 Jun 2008, 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : so it makes sense)
dajones13
dajones13

Back to top Go down

June 24th Ronde Von Oley Empty Neutral Zone

Post  Dean Smith Wed 25 Jun 2008, 9:01 am

I think the 'neutral zone', until Water Street, is a good idea. Also, I'm very thankful that Rasta didn't end up on the hood of the car. No offense Craig but I don't know if any of us want to give you mouth-to-mouth resuscitation!

Dean Smith

Back to top Go down

June 24th Ronde Von Oley Empty Stats for 24 June Ronde

Post  Dean Smith Wed 25 Jun 2008, 9:05 am

Last night I think we set a record speed -- Jim's uber-expensive computer recorded 31.40 miles in 1:21:21, or 23.2 mph average, and a max sprint speed of 37.5 mph. Now THAT'S riding!!!!!!

Dean Smith

Back to top Go down

June 24th Ronde Von Oley Empty Re: June 24th Ronde Von Oley

Post  Nick Price Wed 25 Jun 2008, 10:22 am

I just may attack from the parking lot one week. That will interesting. I know Rasta and Dean will go with me. The ride should be a slug-fest for 31.5 miles, not the last .315 miles like a PA Crit. Nobody gets better sitting in.

I had fun last night. Even with the wind, we were never able to sneak away. The final sprint was fun. Jim had a nice leadout on the right side from John and I was sitting 6 or 7 back. I should have moved up more so I could have gotten in the draft. When Jim and I crossed the line, it looked like we put a small gap on the field in the last 200 meters. I've never used a computer, but I'm guessing we hit 35 in the final sprint.

See you next week.
Nick Price
Nick Price

Back to top Go down

June 24th Ronde Von Oley Empty last night's final sprint

Post  Dean Smith Wed 25 Jun 2008, 10:37 am

I was close to you guys in the final sprint, I guess behind Doug, and when I looked down I saw 35 mph, and you guys were still pulling away from me. Nice sprint!

Next week I'm going to attack before everyone gets to the parking lot!

Dean Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Price Wed 25 Jun 2008, 10:46 am

Last year, a rider (Mike Carney-Faulkner Honda) attacked 10 miles in at the Tour de Toona on day two. The race was 74 miles and he stayed away. Out of sight, out of mind. Crazy stuff.
Nick Price
Nick Price

Back to top Go down

Post  dajones13 Wed 25 Jun 2008, 10:48 am

When we were going down the long hill on Limekiln just after we reeled Rasta back in as I shot off the front I looked down and saw 39 mph. That type of down hill is perfect for me, unfortunately the two bumps right after the zig zag aren’t as perfect for me.

I’m going to start my attack for next Tuesday as soon as I get home from work today…
dajones13
dajones13

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Price Wed 25 Jun 2008, 11:06 am

My attack begins at 4:15 from West Lawn and ends in a delusional state at 8:45 pm climbing up Rebers Bridge Rd.
Nick Price
Nick Price

Back to top Go down

Post  tron800 Wed 25 Jun 2008, 11:55 am

Good reports! I just didn't have the attacks last night so I got out front a few times to try to help the cause. I bridged to Doug when he got of the front after 562, but needed to sit behind big Maggie for a bit to recover so that effort was lost as an amoroso rider went off the front, I kept a close pace and the boys came around me after my pull and sucked him back up. After that OLEY TP was pretty fast last night so I figured I give the sprint a shot. I was on the left where I shoudn't have been but was around 5th coming into the sprint, I planned to lead out Shane and pulled over to the left and no one was behind me, so I watched the field pass me but it was fun as I would say that was the most riders coming into the sprint this year.

tron800

Back to top Go down

June 24th Ronde Von Oley Empty June 24th Ronde Von Oley

Post  jimweidner Thu 26 Jun 2008, 11:54 am

the ride was great except for passing the regular bcbc club ride twice.

we need to get more of the group involved in setting the pace and attacks off the front. having the same 6 guys doing a pace line in the front of the group and everyone else sitting on is too much like the derby.

i look at this ride as a training ride/race scenario for riders that have been riding and now want the thrill of riding fast in a pack and in a race type scenario.

cat 5 to cat 4 beginner types; as we ride on tuesdays i watch and notice which riders have improved their skills and in the process have grown to be stronger and smarter riders. it is up to the experienced riders to set examples for the others.

interestingly we have some teams that can work together and practice race tactics. unlike the derby and rodale i encourage you to try your race day tactics on tuesday nights, and make alliances with other riders just like it happens in real races.

just for the record for me it's not about the final sprint. nothing makes me smile more then some well deserving guys going off the front and the group trying to chase them down; that's real racing. if i see a group go off the front that i like i'll soft pedal and let them get a gap to see if they can get away or if the group will pull them back. in my opinion blocking is an art, and one that everyone should learn to be good at. you never know when your blocking can get your team mate the win. that is if you're not selfish and want the win for yourself.

there are lots of guys in the group that need work on making a pace line roll efficiently; just like riding a bike anyone can ride in a pace line, but can you do it efficiently? i ask that you listen to the hopefully constructive criticism from other riders, sometimes you can't tell if you're causing a problem, or you may not know any better.

this ride is a training tool, use it like one and you will become a better rider. oh, and you'll get stronger in the process.

jim

just my 2 cents................

ps: thanks for the leadout john

jimweidner

Back to top Go down

June 24th Ronde Von Oley Empty Well said Jim!

Post  Dean Smith Thu 26 Jun 2008, 2:07 pm

Those points all make sense, Jim -- I totally agree. The Ronde is perfect for practicing tactics, riding at (or off) the front, and figuring out how to improve your game both individually and as teams.

And as Nick said in a previous post, pulling at the front will only make you stronger. I personally like working at the front because of the workout, the extra confidence it helps to build, and because that's the place to launch or cover attacks.

The Derby is a great speed workout, and Rodale is really good for honing your pack-racing skills. But neither compares to the Ronde van Oley in terms of the opportunity to really exercise all aspects of road racing.

Dean Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Price Thu 26 Jun 2008, 2:49 pm

Agreed. Good points Jim and Dean. It does seem like the usual 7-9 suspects are always upfront and then a few new faces pop up towards the end. The reality of racing is that sometimes (unless you're and Aubrey--Patrick G), you are better off upfront. You don't need to be leading everytime, or over-taking your pulls but it makes the ride safer for you and you can avoid gaps, crashes, bumps, etc.

There is a lot of talent and it would be good to see some fresh faces upfront.

FYI---I think Jim secretly likes pounding us in the sprint. I saw a smile or two coming from him on Tuesday when he realized he dropped a guy 20 years younger in the final sprint. Good job Tues, Jim.

Nick
Nick Price
Nick Price

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down