OLEY RIDES & SCHEDULE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

May 13th Ronde Von Oley

2 posters

Go down

May 13th Ronde Von Oley Empty May 13th Ronde Von Oley

Post  Nick Price Fri 16 May 2008, 1:19 pm

Interesting evening. About 3 miles in on Water Rd Dean, Rasta and two other Weaver's riders decided to go off the front. At first, nobody reacted knowing it was a long shot and looking at the pack, we still had myself, JFK, John, Jim, Ryan and Taylor Brown.

Once we turned on Manatawny, Talyor and I decided to go off the front and try to bring it back. At that point, I think they had about 45-1 minute up. We started to see them and felt that in time we could get them. However, with 20 miles to go, Ryan's plan was to solo from the group and go as hard as he can for 20 miles knowing a pack was coming. Ryan caught us just after the turn on Oak and we tried to stay on his wheel. Big mistake. Taylor tired and brought it down, I tried to bridge up to Ryan on Blacksmith, knowing that I would need his wheel especially on the downhill section of Limekiln. Didn't happen. I saw the group coming and I got back on as we descended Blacksmith.

I tried with Jim, John and JFK and the guy with the reddish hair and Trek to make stuff happen bust it just never seemed to work. Ryan was long gone and Rasta and Dean were out of sight. The Weavers guys did a good job of staying upfront on Limekiln and not letting others get 2nd-3rd or 4th wheel to pull through. Thus, I was frustrated. Not at them, because they did exactly what they needed to do. Great job guys.

Once we hit Mine Rd, we could see Dean and Rasta, but without Big Doug and everyone being tired, we weren't going to get them. Once we can through the Weidnerburg, the postioning started to go and some small accelarations started. With about 200 meters to go, I saw an opening on the right and jumped it and took 3rd. I'm not sure who won, Dean or Rasta, but considering what they accomplished, they both won as well as the Weavers guys for being aware of the pack and working for Dean.

Overall it was a great night. Though we don't count Ryan or any other "elite" or "pro" in the overall, I think we need to start reacting to their moves, or with the situation where Taylor was willing to go with me to try to make something happen.

I'm not sure how others feel, but I think as a group, we need to do everything we can to stay with or work with those guys. If they want to bridge, others should get their wheel, take a pull or two. Working an attack or bridging up with a rider like Taylor, Tucker, Ryan, etc is some of the best training you can ask for and will only make you stronger on race day. Sitting in a pack on a training race and not working, or trying to slow the pace will never help you on Saturday and Sunday. That's my 2 cents. See you next week.
Nick Price
Nick Price

Back to top Go down

May 13th Ronde Von Oley Empty Re: May 13th Ronde Von Oley

Post  Dean Smith Fri 16 May 2008, 2:26 pm

I totally agree that it was an interesting evening! For the record, that was one the most enjoyable rides I've ever had -- it was hard work, it was a change of pace, it was awesome to ride with Craig (aka "Rasta") and watch him dig deep to make sure our break worked, and because the Weaver's guys did a great job as a team. Being away that long (27 miles or however long it was) was a challenge, and it wasn't until we were on the Weidnerberg that I felt like we were home free.

I do agree with Nick about having Ryan, Taylor, etc in the mix. It's absolutely essential (I think) to ride with people that are of that caliber to get better, so working with them to bridge or attack is great training (personally speaking, I have gotten a lot out of the couple of times when I've ridden with Ryan -- I'm not sure he gets a whole lot out of me sitting on his wheel and pulling through pathetically occasionally, but I love the challenge).

I'm looking forward to next week, too. It's always a pleasure riding with so many people with so much talent!

Dean Smith

Back to top Go down